Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Where's Fr. Christensen?

For the past couple weeks I have been ministering to three small parishes in north central South Dakota; St. Michael's in Herreid, St. Anthony's in Selby, and St. Joseph's in Eureka. In the next three posts I will share some photos I have taken of the three parishes. I will begin with Herreid, population 360 (in 2008).

Here is a view of the Church (I posted this on facebook and someone accused me of straightening all the hymnals for the picture):



Here is a closer view of the Sanctuary. Notice the lovely altar cloth on the altar in the foreground. It matches both the tabernacle veil and the vestments:


Here is a closer view of the High Altar which, thank God, was not removed after the "changes" of the Second Vatican Council. Notice the veiled tabernacle, one of my favorite things:


Here is one of the side altars, this one is dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus:


They even have some of the "old school" confessionals. In case you are wondering, yes, I use them.

So there you have it, a few pictures from where I have been the past couple of weeks. The next post will have pictures from St. Anthony's in Selby.

1 comment:

Claire Christina said...

1) Well? Did you straighten the hymnals?

2) I noticed the veiled tabernacle immediately. Denis gave a presentation in Chris Carstens' class today on the Liturgical Movement and art/architecture, and this was a big push. Bravo + nice timing!