Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Trust


The other day during my Holy Hour I came across a prayer written by Fr. Louis Merton (aka Thomas Merton). It reflected quite beautifully and honestly some of my own feelings as I near the end of my time here at the Liturgical Institute and my return to my diocese. That being the case I thought I would share it with you.

My Lord God,

I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know where it will end.

Nor do I really know myself,
And the fact that I think I am following
your will does not mean that I am
actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please
you does in fact please you.
And I hope that I have that desire in all
that I am doing.
I hope that I will not do anything
apart from that desire.

And I know that if I do this, you
will lead me by the right road
though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore, I will trust you always
though I may seem to be lost
and in the shadow of death, I will
not fear, for you are ever with me
and you will never leave me
to face my perils alone.

2 comments:

terri said...

on EWTN radio, Mother Angelica, on one of the old replays spoke about how as a young sister, before the tabernacle, she was talking to God about His Will. The thought came back to her that God said to think about it as His Love.

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

I used to know this by heart--we said it together in a prayer group in Kansas when our kids were little. Thanks, Fr.!